This information is provided as a service to the helicopter industry for general educational and reference purposes only. Due to the large amount of variables found in essentially each heliport design and project and the broad range of applications possible, this information is NOT intended to be nor should it be used as a substitute for a qualified professional evaluation and subsequent services.
- Heliport Insurance
- The Hangman Cometh?
- Magnetic Hazards at Heliports
- Six Ways to Safer Heliports (4.4MB PDF)
- Jan 2011, “Quelling the Fire: Heliport Safety Regulations Get Beefed Up”
- Jan 2011, “Heliport Safety Compliance Inspections Announced”;
- Apr 2011, “Landing Problems-Revisions to NFPA 418″
- “Defeating the Survivor Syndrome”, Air Medical Journal, Presidents Forum, (March/April 2012); Avoiding the destructive us versus them syndrome.
- “Professionalism”, Air Medical Journal, Presidents Forum, (November/December 2011); Introduction of the NEMSPA Air Medical Pilots Credo in response to the NTSB naming professionalism to their Top-10 list.
- “Do the Right Thing”, Air Medical Journal, Presidents Forum, (September/October 2011); A breakdown of NEMSPA’s philosophy, history and goals.
- “Breaking the Cycle”, Air Medical Journal, Presidents Forum, (July/August 2011); Avoiding the repetitive cycle of failure due to leadership change.
- “Helicopter Shopping: What Hospitals & First Responders Need to Know”, (January 2008); Discussing the challenges and hidden dangers of coordinating flight requests across multiple hospital and first responder systems.
- “The Option Play”, National EMS Pilots Associations AIRNET (January 2007); Commenting on the pilots role in risk management for HEMS operations.
- “The Illusive Silver Bullet”, National EMS Pilots Associations AIRNET (January 2007); Emphasizing a comprehensive common sense approach based on culture not technology to reducing HEMS accidents.
- Tangled Web
- Are your heliports killing your patients?
- Heliports – The 25 Most Asked questions with Answers
- What is a Heliport/Helistop/Helipad/Helideck/Helispot?
- Heliport Design Issues-Choosing the right “Design Aircraft”
- Rotor & Wing Article – Heliports: Saving An Endangered Species (0.5MB PDF)
- “The Hot Load, Time Saver or Time Waster?”, National EMS Pilots Associations AIRNET (January 2009); Risk benefit evaluation associated with hot loading versus cold loading patients into a helicopter.
- “Air Medical Launch Times and Influencing Factors”, National EMS Pilots Association AIRNET (January 2008); Review of influencing factors that dictate what a reasonable safe launch time standard should be and the consequences of not paying attention to real world data and variables.
- NEMSPA National heliport safety survey and results from over 1,300 helicopter active pilots.
- Governing Regulations, Code Criteria and Accreditation Standards for Heliports in the United States
- FAA Heliport Design Advisory 150/5390 2C 04/24/2012 (7.6MB PDF)
- NFPA 418 Standards for Heliports (NFPA web site)